Thursday 26 January 2012

So the first week of my sewing adventure has made me realise just how useful my new hobby may be and that just because I love making pretty things doesn't mean I cant make useful things as well... Brilliant! There are a few things on my, to make list this week including a pretty pin cushion that I am on the search for a pretty design, and a bag for my little monkeys jigsaw pieces that I keep finding everywhere! Both useful and hopefully gorgeous!

This week I have been copying other things that I would previously just have bought. Firstly a little bib for my baby who is teething at the moment so is unbelievably dribbly. 
 Rory is at  nursery so I used his favourite teddy to demonstrate his bib and haven't quite had chance to check it fits yet but fingers crossed. Again the pattern is very primitive and therefore not very neat because I simply copied from some I had bought in H&M a while ago but I think with a little bit of fixing up I can make a few of these that he would actually be able to wear in public. I used little sew on press studs to hold it together which are the first time I've seen them but they're amazing!




My next project was something again that I normally would have bought, I saw some gorgeous t-shirts with fabric sewn on to make the union jack in a shop in York the other day, but with  my new found addiction I thought "I could make that", so I haven't quite got to making that yet but I have started with a little vest which I used the technique I saw on those t-shirts. The elephant is actually from the Cath Kidston sewing book "Sew!" I redrew it to change the size to fit onto his little baby vests, but I love it and think Ill be trying more little applique baby vests, especially as there are lots of new babies due soon within my friends!






 I really want to try and make something according to an actual pattern rather than just trying to make it up this week, so I think I'll be bringing out the sewing books and actually following some rules and since its been a bit of a baby dominated week, I think I may just make myself something...

No comments:

Post a Comment